Day 29

on Jun 11, 2010 | 6 comments

Waterloo Inn to Edale

I had a bit of a bad night’s sleep last night. The mattress wasn’t the most comfortable and every time anyone in the other rooms went to the loo the saniflow systems made the most horrendous racket. So it was with no surprise that I woke up this morning feeling pretty weary already. Not good.

Slowly I got myself together, putting some strapping on my right foot as it played up a little bit yesterday, and then went down for breakfast, which was huge! It was so big I couldn’t actually eat it all, much like last night’s dinner.

Stuffed to the eyeballs I grabbed my gear, checked out and hit the road. The weather was looking better so I was hopeful of a good day’s walking ahead.

Day 30

on Jun 12, 2010 | 0 comments

Edale to Crowden

I ended up hitting the sack quite early last night, although that doesn’t necessarily mean I got an early night. I sat in bed watching TV, eventually dropping off around 11pm, just to be woken up at 3am by the howling wind outside. From then on all I could manage to do was doze until it was time to get up and get ready for the day ahead.

The Rambler Inn where I was staying was a lovely little place: good food, good beer and a very nice room. The only thing that goes against it, especially on a walk like this, was the fact that they didn’t start breakfast until 9am, even locking the door stopping me and everyone else getting in until 9am. This was not a good start to the day as normally I would be on the road ages before then, especially with a tough long walk ahead.

Day 31

on Jun 13, 2010 | 6 comments

Crowden to Bleak Hey Nook

Shock and horror…I actually managed to get seven hours sleep last night! Clearly the walk from Edale took quite a lot out of me, but then that’s not surprising considering the terrain.

Unlike yesterday morning I was sat and having breakfast at 8am, much better. Even though today’s route was shorter than yesterday’s I knew there were some tough bits to come so the earlier I could get on the path the better.

Breakfast was good and for £5 they provided me a lunch for the day, which I have to say was enough for today and tomorrow, so well worth the money.

Day 32

on Jun 14, 2010 | 5 comments

Bleak Hey Nook to Hebden Bridge

After struggling to write yesterday’s update, and then to upload the photos to Flickr, I ended up having a very late night, followed swiftly by a not very good sleep. Still, I woke up feeling ok this morning and not hurting too much.

Luckily, the rain from yesterday looked to have passed and over breakfast I enjoyed some very nice views over the hills through the dining room window. I’d checked the weather and the forecast was looking ok for the day, and knowing that the route was supposed to be a bit easier than the previous two days I was hopeful for a good walk.

Rest Day 8

on Jun 15, 2010 | 4 comments

Hebden Bridge

I was a little concerned this morning when I woke up and tried to move to find that my hurty bits were still hurting quite a lot. I guess the Pennine Way over the Peaks had really done a number on me over the last few days?

Fortunately, today was a rest day so I didn’t have to rush up. In fact, much like other rest days I didn’t even bother getting up for breakfast, knowing that if I did then that would be it – up, awake and then trying to find things to fill the hours with. I didn’t want that as I truly needed a proper rest day today. I suppose eventually getting out of bed at midday classes as a good way to start a rest day?

Day 33

on Jun 16, 2010 | 6 comments

Hebden Bridge to Cowling

Having missed breakfast yesterday on my day off, because I just couldn’t drag myself out of bed in time, I didn’t know what to expect this morning. I’m pleased to say that Bar Place did me proud and produced an excellent breakfast, which kind of made me wish I’d had one yesterday too. Oh well, never mind.

It’s a good job the breakfast was good as the first task of the day after grabbing my gear was climbing the 500ft up to Heptonstall. Even at that early time of the morning the sun was beginning to get hot and the hill just seemed to go on and on. The view over Hebden Bridge made the hill worth it.

Day 34

on Jun 17, 2010 | 7 comments

Cowling to Malham

I was awake quite early this morning, feeling pretty good after my feet felt so bad last night. I pottered around sorting my stuff out and went down for breakfast.

I had a really nice chat with the other people staying at Woodland House and if I’m honest, the chat probably went on a little too long as it was 9am before I realised what the time was…late! I rushed around, got my gear on and got out the door five minutes later.

After leaving the B & B my route quickly headed down…and then straight back up again, which pretty much describes the vast majority of todays walk. But I guess I’d better not just leave it there for today’s update, should I? No, I guess not.