Day 1

on May 7, 2010 | 2 comments

Land’s End to Penzance

After an ok sleep last night (only woke up three times) I put on my walking clothes – less boots – and popped down for breakfast, which consisted of a bowl of chopped fruit (thought I’d better try and have something healthy) and a full fry up with a round of toast. The hope was that a good stomach full of food would keep me going…only time would tell if that was the case or not.

Day 2

on May 8, 2010 | 3 comments

Penzance to Porthleven

Last night I had a bit of a think about things I desperately needed in my pack and maybe some things I could probably do without. This was tough as high up on the list of items to lighten the load was my netbook. Without it I wouldn’t be able to jump on to wifi hotspots if I came across any, and if that were the case I wouldn’t be able to have a Skype video call with the girls, like last night. Tough decision that one so I slept on it.

Day 3

on May 9, 2010 | 4 comments

Porthleven to Carnon Downs

I slept as good as ever last night, i.e. not very, but I woke up feeling pretty good with not too many aches and pains; a good sign maybe?

Breakfast was a feast of local line caught pollock which was delicious. last night Penny – who runs the Rosemorran B & B with her husband Robert – asked me if I’d like some and seeing as I was to leave the coast the next day how could I not?! And if that wasn’t good enough they offered to make me a crab sandwich for my lunch…yummy! Really nice people and a great B & B.

Day 4

on May 10, 2010 | 2 comments

Carnon Downs to Fraddon

Firstly, before I forget in my completely knackered state, I just want to say a massive thank you to everyone who has sponsored me since I started this crazy walk, and all of you who sponsored me before I left. It really is appreciated and to finally break the £1000 mark, well, it inspires me to walk on and on – thank you!

I’m glad to see the page hits going up on the site. I hope that means that you’re all enjoying these little (or not so little) write-ups and that the effort in the evenings isn’t wasted, especially when I could be doing something a lot better for me, like sleeping?!

Day 5

on May 11, 2010 | 9 comments

Fraddon to St. Mabyn

Even though I was absolutely exhausted last night I struggled to get off to sleep before midnight. I suspect the length of today’s route was playing on my mind a bit seeing as it was over 18 miles without having to make up the extra bit from yesterday.

After my customary five or so hours sleep I lied in bed until 6:30am when I decided to make a start for the day, considering the miles that I had to cover. I dragged myself out of bed and both calf muscles screamed at me to just sit the hell down…immediately!

Day 6

on May 12, 2010 | 11 comments

St. Mabyn to Launceston

I didn’t sleep very well again last night and not for want of trying either. Last night, after sorting myself out, I relaxed for a bit and phoned the girls, put my boots back on (ouch!) and hobbled back down to the St. Mabyn Inn for a couple of pints and some dinner. While there I sorted out yesterday’s blog update and by about 8:15pm I was almost asleep at the table; time to leave. I hobbled back to my room and went straight to bed, putting the TV on for a bit to try and really get my eyes tired.

Rest Day 1

on May 13, 2010 | 9 comments


You’d have thought that not having to worry about a long day’s walk or having to get up early I’d have had a good night’s sleep last night wouldn’t you? Nothing could be further from the truth.

I made sure that I stayed up later last night, watching TV and replying to people’s comments on the site, to try and really tire myself out but what happened? I woke up at 5:15am…again – damn it!

Day 7

on May 14, 2010 | 6 comments

Launceston to Lydford

After the rather splendid, if not rather huge, cod and chips on my first evening in Launceston last night I decided that, as there wasn’t a great deal else food-wise going on in the place, I’d head back to Launceston Fryers and have another plate of fish and chips. This time I opted for the “medium” haddock but trust me, there was nothing medium about this piece of fish as it was the same size as the cod from the previous night!

Day 8

on May 15, 2010 | 8 comments

Lydford to Whiddon Down

Before I start I think I’d better just warn Sarah that if she’s reading this out to the girls, she may well need to skip or paraphrase this first part of today’s posting.

So, the complete twats from last night didn’t get any better. As per normal I was struggling to get to sleep but with my iPod on I wasn’t doing too badly. That was until about 12:30am when the knobs decided that it’d be really funny to spend the next hour and half walking down the hall way knocking on everyone’s door! Clearly they thought they owned the place and that nobody else other than they were staying there?!

Day 9

on May 16, 2010 | 11 comments

Whiddon Down to Crediton

You would have thought that being so tired after not much sleep the night before I would have just dropped off straight away last night wouldn’t you? Nope, not at all. I ended up sitting all the way through Top Gun on telly – rather bad reception and it was pretty much the best channel out of the limited selection available – and then put my iPod on and listened to an entire album before taking that off and desperately trying to sleep.

Day 10

on May 17, 2010 | 8 comments

Crediton to Tiverton

The Taw Vale B & B was a lovely place, set in a grandiose building with nice high ceilings and a lot of the original features still in place, including the bell rings in the rooms. I never tried them though.

Once I’d had a bit of a rest and phoned the girls I thought I’d better catch up with a bit of washing up and it was then that I realised that I’d left the antibacterial soap I’d been using to wash my clothes in two stops back…doh!

Day 11

on May 18, 2010 | 7 comments

Tiverton to Greenham

I struggled again to get off to sleep last night, even though I was completely and utterly exhausted by the time I’d reached the Best Western hotel in Tiverton. What will it take for me to actually fall asleep at a reasonable hour without too much bloody effort?!

Trying to get out of bed I was a little alarmed to find that my feet still hurt from the previous day’s efforts…not good. As I pottered about my room sorting my stuff out fortunately they seemed to comeback to life which pleased me no end. I still had the job of putting on the plasters and taping them up to get them ready for the boots but for now I was just happy that they wanted to move!

Day 12

on May 19, 2010 | 6 comments

Greenham to Taunton

I actually managed to have an ok sleep last night. That being said I still woke up tired; the upcoming day’s rest will be very welcome I can tell you!

I didn’t rush around this morning and had a nice relaxed breakfast, looking out the window at the view and the falling rain. I wasn’t too worried about the rain as I hoped it would help to cool the day down a bit. The last two days in the sun had been extremely draining, so a break from that would be very welcome indeed.

Rest Day 2

on May 20, 2010 | 1 comment


It actually ended up being quite a late night last night by the time I’d eventually got the day’s activities updated on the site.

One reason for this was the fact that I had a good chat with a few people on the phone last night, the funniest of which was with Steve – Hag. I say funny but what I should have said was interesting. The little bugger contacted his local BBC office about me, telling them about the walk and pointing them to this site. I know he’s dead proud about what I’m doing but this, well, what can you say? I suspect nothing will come of it but you just don’t know do you? I’ll keep you posted if I hear anything.

Day 13

on May 21, 2010 | 0 comments

Taunton to Street

Knowing I had a long day ahead of me I was up and about early this morning, even before my alarm went off at 7am. All packed I was sat eating break by 7:30am, unfortunately it wasn’t the best breakfast I’ve had on this little adventure so far. As I’d not had breakfast the day before, due to lazing in my bed for far too long, I was a little disappointed, especially when you consider the cost of the place – £70 a night for bed and breakfast is not cheap and I expected better. Overall Blorenge House wasn’t too bad, the room was perfectly serviceable and the en-suite looked pretty new but I still wouldn’t say it was completely worth the asking price for a night.

Day 14

on May 22, 2010 | 7 comments

Street to Binegar

After the late posting last night I managed my typical five hours sleep before waking up. I did however manage to doze a little bit afterwards so that was good as I wasn’t in the mood for rushing around after yesterday’s efforts!

To be honest, when I first started to potter around this morning I wasn’t sure if I’d be walking today or checking to see if the room was available for another night. As it goes, after hobbling up the road for breakfast, which was a lot better than the day before, it felt like the pains would ease. So, I packed up, checked out and hit the road with just over seventeen miles ahead of me.

Day 15

on May 23, 2010 | 4 comments

Binegar to Bath

The time spent at the Horse and Jockey was a tonic to my mood yesterday. When I went back for dinner and some drinks it was great just to sit and shoot the breeze, it just eased the mood away. Well, I suppose a few pints of Thatcher’s Gold cider may have had something to do with it too? Walking back to the B & B I certainly felt the effect of the cider that’s for sure. It was a great evening though and well needed.

As I never made it to my intended destination yesterday, I had a couple of miles extra to make up today. With that in mind I was up and about quite early, slightly thick headed after the cider the night before, but not feeling too bad. Fed and watered and settled up I hit the A37 and made my way to Old Down at 8:40am.

Rest Day 3

on May 24, 2010 | 2 comments


As it goes, I didn’t sleep too badly on the make-shift bed last night, certainly not any worse than any night so far on this walk. Yes, I woke up early but a lot of the aches and pains had gone by the time I started to potter around. My feet still hurt a bit but I didn’t have anything planned so a day without the boots on was looking good. Besides, I had yesterday’s blog post to sort out seeing as it didn’t get done yesterday.

I struggled most of the morning battling my tiredness, trying to write up yesterday’s walk. I couldn’t believe how tired I felt. I got it written and posted eventually though which is the main thing I suppose?

Rest Day 4

on May 25, 2010 | 2 comments


I had a great night out with Stu and his brother Ryan last night. Stu had promised me a steak dinner when I made it in to Bath and as I could hobble along a bit better after a day of not walking we went a little further afield than just round the corner.

After a nice bottle of cider in the flat we went and met Ryan and headed to the Volunteer Rifleman where we sat outside and enjoyed a nice pint and a chat.

Pint drunk we made our way to Hudson Steakhouse Bar and Grill, a short walk away, for a lovely meal. Tempura prawns to start followed by a wonderful 8oz fillet steak cooked perfectly. More beer and some very nice red wine helped to wash it all down. I didn’t go in for the sambuca as I’ve never been a fan but Stu and Ryan couldn’t resist.

Day 16

on May 26, 2010 | 5 comments

Bath to Old Sodbury

Last night was a little bit more of a subdued affair after the night before. Yes, Stu and I went out but it was just round the corner for a very nice pizza – my shout to say thanks for being so great and letting me crash a little longer than planned – and then it was back to the flat to watch a film. We watched Ninja Assassin which as it goes was a pretty good film if you like that sort of thing if course. Great fight scenes for sure.

Once that was done I sorted my stuff out ready for the morning and tried to get some sleep. I guess the walk ahead was playing on my mind as I lay there until well gone midnight, wide awake and not able to switch off.